North Simcoe Hockey Associations focus this year has been on
maintaining a safe environment for all of its members while ensuring
participants have a somewhat normal experience returning to the ice.
This is very important as we head into the holiday season.
Effective immediately players, coaches and other volunteers are asked to adhere to the following protocols:
- Players wear their masks correctly at all times, unless they are on the ice or on the bench during games. Masks must not come off until just before players are ready to take the ice. Players should not congregate at rinks side with masks off, waiting to take the ice. Players observed not wearing masked correctly will be sent home, without warning.
- Coaches, assistant coaches, and trainers must wear masks on the bench at all times. Anyone observed pulling their mask down or not wearing a mask correctly may face disciplinary action.
- Indoor social activities such as parities or dinners are not permitted – anything planned must be canceled. Please move these events online or postpone until the new year.
In addition to the above, the NSGHA is also making the following recommendations:
- Players should limit time in the dressing room – please arrive at the arena dressed as much as possible and ready to play.
- Parents should limit the family members present in the rink for practices and games. If more than one parent will attend games, please ensure to spread out and maintain physical distancing at all times.
- Teams who are hosting opposing teams from outside North Simcoe are asked to share this communication with them and ask them to please follow these same directions.
- Indoor off-ice training opportunities may continue, but all guidelines and protocols must be respected. Masks should be worn at all times, where activities allow.
- Team warm-ups activities should take place outside, where possible. Indoor activities must be conducted safely – social distancing should be maintained, and masks worn at all times.
- All competitive and house league teams playing outside of North Simcoe are urged to check with the team they are playing to make sure they are aware of changes to COVID-19 protocols in their area. The NSGHA is aware that the Town of Midland and Penetanguishene protocols may differ from other associations, even within our same District Health Unit.
Based on all the details we have to consider, the North Simcoe Hockey Association believes that the decision to continue playing hockey is best placed in the hands of our teams, coaches, players and parents. The NSGHA will support the decision of any player who wishes to not participate, or any team that wishes to suspend activities this weekend.
This situation is evolving. If we have any other details to share, we will communicate them quickly.
As always, stay safe and see you at the rink.